Yes, it’s that time of year again, are you heading away from home on holidays this summer or just even a stroll on the prom or a day racing? Is your home safe and secure?
There are some simple things you can do to prevent burglaries and ensure that you can relax and not worry about your home while you are out enjoying yourself.
- Leave lights on to deter intruders – we recommend the use of timer in various room throughout your house.
- Make sure all windows and doors are closed and locked.
- Alarm System – make sure it’s activated.
- Check the condition of all your external doors and door frames to ensure they fit correctly and are not damaged in a way that could make them easier for a burglar to break through.
- Fit a deadbolt lock to your home’s main exterior doors, making it impossible for any would be burglars to gain access to your home without the key.
Neighbours and Friends.
If you are away for an extended period; it’s always a good idea to give a spare key to a trusted neighbour, friend or family member and ask them to check on your house often.
Unopened post left lying on the doormat is a bit of a giveaway to anyone who wants to invade your home and it might also be a good idea to get someone to cut your grass
Don’t leave a spare key where the burglar is likely to find it, for example under a pot, in the garden shed etc.
We recommend not to advertise on social media, that you are away from your home. You do not know who is watching.
We recommend that you take this opportunity to review your household Insurance Policy.
- Are the sums insured on both your building and contents adequate?
- Does your policy cover you for the period you are away from your home???
- What level of insurance cover have you for “valuable items ” left in the home while you are away.
Enjoy your holiday and feel free to contact our office for advice.